Dinner parties, family gatherings, and extra time at home. All great reasons for you to try my favorite Christmas recipe.
What You Need:
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits (not instant)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces (divided)
- 1 pound ground pork or turkey breakfast sausage
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
How To Make:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking dish.
- Cook sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain.
- Cook grits according to package directions. Mix in 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and butter. Stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Beat eggs and stir together with milk. Slowly stir in the egg mixture, then add the sausage.
- Transfer to a lightly greased 9″x13″ pan. (Can be refrigerated for up to 2 days at this point.) Bake preheated oven for 1 hour until puffed/set/golden. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 2 min. more.